Sunday, September 9, 2007

Charlotte - Night One, sleepy success

Did I say dog beds were an obstacle? I guess she figured them out by the time we went to bed at midnight last night, because she laid down right next to Seka (who usually sleeps in bed with us, but chose to have a sleep over party in the floor instead) on her bed. SUCCESS! I think I woke up and checked on them every hour on the hour last night. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't any sleep/space issues with either of them. At one point they were head to head and no one seemed to mind.

We decided not to make her sleep in her crate last night, which is located downstairs, near the back door (two floors away from us). She has such trust issues with people. If the crate door is open, she's in there and it is all I can do to get her out. Treats won't even do it! So we figured putting one of my t-shirts on her would help and braced ourself in the event of a potty accident. She slept through the night and woke me with a cold nose in the face at 6:30a to be carried down both flights of stairs - which isn't an easy thing to do without contacts (note to self) - for a morning potty.

We came back in, Seka had already stolen my warm spot in bed and Charlotte and I decided to hang out downstairs. We watched TV, which she is fascinated by, and I knitted a bit. She cried some. Scared and lonely I guess. Seka came down like a good sister to keep her company as soon as she heard her whimpers. That helped. I fed them breakfast. And we all three fell asleep until Kevin woke us up around 10:30a.

We had to run some errands, so it was time to crate up for the first time and, most importantly, our first KONG! I gave her the peanut butter covered treat and she tasted it cautiously at first. She then looked at me like she had never had something so good in her entire life.

Still no accidents. She followed Seka down the stairs twice, but she won't do it if I ask her. It was like it was an accident. We're going to attempt our first walk tonight. I'm going to try to do it myself. She's not great on a leash, but Seka is, so we'll see how she falls in line. She seems to do whatever sis does. More later.

No comments: