Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sleeping Single in a Double Bed

I loved the short-lived, Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters show growing up. I wanted to be Louise. My sister and I would dance and sing to all of the choreographed music, executing perfect high kicks in our cowboy boots right along side the Mandrell sisters. I was convinced that I was the long lost fourth Mandrell sister separated at birth.

So when I came upstairs to bed the other night, I couldn't help but think of one of my favorite Barbara Mandrell songs, "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed," as I looked at the unusual dog pile my girls had formed on Roxy's usual sleeping spot. I guess, that night, Roxy would not be sleeping single. They slept like that, without any kind of fuss, for over an hour.

I couldn't resist taking a peek on YouTube to see what they offered in the way of some great video clips of the Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters show. I remember seeing this opening bit for the first time and thinking we were seeing a glimpse into what it was like to be one of the Mandrell sisters as they argue about silly, mindless things. Watching it now you can totally tell it was scripted. I still love that blue dress Louise is wearing.

8 comments:

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

That is one cute dog pile! Jen and I never danced to anything, but we did run around like horses on all 4's (hands and feet- no knees!) to "The Eye of the Tiger" :-)

Anonymous said...

They are adorable! If one of my boys so much as encroaches on one toe of the other, we get growling and pulling away. I envy your dog heap!

Zan said...

When I was in college, I took a commercial music course. It was one of those classes you take pass/fail that was supposed to be easy and fun - and it was. I was in school in Nashville, so we were sometime able to get some pretty interesting guest speakers. For one class, the songwriters that wrote "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed" came to talk to us and let us ask questions. One of the few things I remember was that the original idea for the song was Sleeping Double in a Single Bed. Maybe the Girls know that.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Denise is lying..........ok so we did.

I've never heard of this show you speak of Heather and I don't think you are older than me

Jen

Heather said...

Well Jen, I know that you guys may have had horses - but you didn't grow up COUNTRY :). That show was way country.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

GBD, you are right about that! We started out in Texas, but before we were permanently corrupted we moved to Chicago, Boston, and then to the O.C. Oh, and we wrote hunt seat. None of that western riding with a horn to hang onto. Just teasing :-).

Jen

Heather said...

Hey - some of us need handlebars, Jen!

Anonymous said...

hilarious and painful.
erlene?


and what happened to Hee Haw?