Friday, May 22, 2009

Religious Debate

The community in which I live is rumored to have the most churches per capita than any other city in the South. I would tend to to believe this is true. Life revolves around religious activities here, and if you're not religious it impacts your life just as much since you have to adjust your daily time line on Wednesday nights and all day Sunday to deal with the "church crowds" at restaurants, grocery stores, and other various places. It is not an exaggeration that in the South when a person meets you for the first time one of the the ways they make small talk is to ask you what church you attend, and if you don't have one they immediately invite you to theirs. It's only the polite thing to do.

When I received this e-mail this morning via a forward from a friend I knew I had to post it here. It was just too good not to share with the world. Here's the premise:

"This is literally a 'church signs' debate, being played out in a Southern US town, between Our Lady of Martyrs Catholic Church, and Cumberland Presbyterian, a fundamentalist church. From top to bottom shows you the response and counter-response over time. The Catholics are displaying a much better sense of humor! You get the impression that the Presbyterians are actually taking this seriously and are getting a bit upset..."



And now to spoil all the fun... yes, it's fake. I could have told you that when I saw that the two churches used in the church sign generator were a Catholic Church and a Presbyterian. In the South, all other churches pretend that the Catholics do not exist.

8 comments:

drongo said...

perhaps I might direct your attention to the post 'Microfleece Madonna Manifests at Dish-licker Day out' on http://commonshrew.blogspot.com/

well, it seemed relevant to me ...

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I try to avoid that "what church do you go to?" question :-).

Jen

Cool Coty said...

Yep, definitely believeable as a Southern thing...

Hiking Hounds said...

I've seen that one before. It is hilarious and one of my favorites, even if it isn't real. I love that it ends with rocks going to heaven because I used to work in geology and love rocks too. :-)

Aragon greyhounds said...

Yes that reminds me of my days living in the south!

Maria Peters said...

Very funny, but I knew something was amiss, (or a mass) b/c Catholic Churches are not humorous. Think I'll go have a devil dog.

IHateToast said...

every time i see that email, the catholic church's signs remind me of the SNL land shark. remember that? if he felt zinged, he'd switch tactics.

i know how to stop conversation in the south: "i'm a unitarian." makes people mooooove away.

Angel said...

I'm catching up on your blog and LOL'ed at this post. I love tacky church signs - and, oh, how I wish these were real. Once, a gang of rowdy youth pastors and I messed with the sign of a small Southern Baptist church. Their sign said "Get Right or Get Left" (it was around the election time). We changed the sign to read "Get Right or Get Felt."